United Kingdom
SAF Programs
SAF Seminars/Events
SAF Member University Links


University of California, Berkeley Summer Session

Location: Berkeley, California
Total Enrollment: 16,000
# of International: 3,000
Required GPA: 3.0/4.0
Minimum TOEFL iBT:  79
Minimum IELTS: 6.5
Terms of Study: Summer 2016
Session A: May 23 - July 1 (6 weeks)
Session B: June 6 - August 12 (10 weeks)
Session C: June 20 - August 12 (8 weeks)
Session D: July 5 - August 12 (6 weeks)
Application Deadlines: Session A: March 1st
Session B: March 15th
Session C: April 1st 
Session D: April 15th
we do recommend students to apply as early as possible as enrollment in courses is on a space available basis. 
Language Institute Option: NA
University Website: summer.berkeley.edu

What University of California, Berkeley Summer Sessions has to Offer

  • UC Berkeley is considered to be the flagship institution and is the oldest campus of the highly regarded University of California (UC) system
  • UC Berkeley is consistently ranked one the best universities in the US, in the world
  • UC Berkeley first offered summer study in 1900, with 37 courses and 433 students.
  • Courses are taught by faculty, lecturers and graduate student instructors.
  • UC Berkeley students typically make up 75 percent of summer scholars. The remaining 25 percent of summer students include visitors from other institutions and other adult learners.


  • In the summer, students have the choice between two housing options: UCB Residence Hall with meal plan or off campus student housing. 
  • The Residence Halls offer double and triple rooms with beautiful views on the Bay or the Berkeley Hills. This housing option includes access to the some of the UCB dining halls, with an average of 12 meals per week. 
  • Students living off campus may choose between single or double occupancy rooms. Housing is just a short walk away from campus. 


  • Online course catalog
  • During the summer, students may enroll in courses offers in any UCB faculty.
  • As this is a full time learning program, students need to take the following number of credits:
    • 6 week program: 5 credit
    • 8 week program: 6 credits
    • 10 week program: 8 credits
    • 12 week program: 10 credits (5 per 6 week session)
  • Courses numbered 1-99 are open to any students and are more suitable for freshmen and sophomores. Courses listed 100-196 are open to juniors and seniors. Courses 200-299 are graduate level courses and the instructor’s consent needs to be obtained before enrolling in the course. Student must make sure they meet the pre-requisites of the courses they wish to take. 

Popular Departments

  • Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
  • Political Science
  • Molecular and Cell Biology
  • Environmental Science, Policy and Management
  • Economics

Costs: USD 6,825 for 6 weeks, USD 8,300 for 8 weeks and USD 12,175 for 12 weeks.

  • Tuition, administration and management fees, housing (double room in dorms), 12 meals per week, airport pick up
  • Other housing and meal options are available, please inquire with SAF. 



Last Updated: 2/16/16